Like any other year, there have been more than enough highs and lows to report on. But after the year the UK had in 2012 with the Olympics, the Queen’s 60th Jubilee, 2013 felt like it might pale into insignificance when we sat down to compile this list.
However it wasn’t long before the b**p team were reeling off countless events, gatherings and news that were all capable of holding a spot on our coveted list.
1. Glastonbury 2013 was back after its hiatus, with performances from Arctic Monkeys, Mumford & Sons and even The Rolling Stones, the sun shone and music lovers from all around the world congregated at Worthy Farm. We’re looking forward to 2014’s edition with Arcade Fire already tipped as one of the headline acts.
2. Another one of the biggest events this year was Eminem headlining at Leeds and Reading Festival. The rapper came back in 2013 with his recent song Survival, proving that at 41 there is still room for the ‘real slim shady’ on the charts.
3. And of course, the birth of North West – the offspring of Kim Kardashian and Kanye West. The baby was born in mid-June this year, and the excitement surrounding the birth was unbelievable, especially considering the unusual name choice.
4. Another special birth during 2013 was the Royal Baby. Prince George Alexander Louis of Cambridge was born in July this year, making the whole nation coo over the sight of such a precious baby.
5. One of the worst disasters this year was the typhoon in the Philippines, which forced over 4 million people to leave their homes with nothing. The death toll has now reached over 6000, which is a devastating amount .
6. Paul Walker, one of the leading actors in the Fast and Furious films passed away on November 30th in a car crash. This left millions of people all over the world devastated, and it was one of the most talked about deaths in the recent years.
7. On July 7th this year, Andy Murray won the Wimbledon Championships after a long battle. This was a proud moment for Britain as everyone had been rooting for him and with no silverware being picked up by a British male in SW17 in over 77 years, Murray restored faith in British tennis. He went on to be crowned Sports Personality of the Year for 2013 as well.
8. Miley Cyrus has just got to be mentioned in the top 10 events of this year, with both her performance at the EMA’s and the MTV Awards, with her more than unusual performances, causing speculation about it being a publicity stunt.
9. This summer we actually managed to get quite a lot of sunshine, for once! We had a heat wave in July and a sunny August, pleasing everyone in Britain. There was no need for fake tan this summer!
10. Possibly one of the most significant deaths of 2013 was that of Nelson Mandela, one of the most influential men in the world. Mandela passed away on December 5th after being critically ill for months.. He lived until the unbelievable age of 95 and was truly an icon of the 20th century.