This is looking to be Sam Smith’s year having already been named BRITs 2014 Critics’ Choice and being announced as the BBC Sound of 2014 earlier today. But who is Sam Smith really?
- When growing up in Hertfordshire he worked at his local convenience shop.
- Smith is a former student of the Youth Music Theatre UK where he trained as a jazz singer in his teens and was often spotted as a backing singer for his coach at small London gigs.
- The 21 year old is a signed to Capitol Records.
- His breakthrough moments were when he featured on Naughty Boys single La La La which went on to become number one back in May and his collaboration with Disclosure ‘Latch’
- He has been nominated for MTV’s Brand New award 2014.
- Sam released songs such as ‘Nirvana’ as he experimented with his sound back in October but he insists that they won’t be on his album.
- He is set to release his debut studio album, In the Lonely Hour, on May 26th 2014 (that is definitely something to look forward too)
- After Adele tweeted the video link to his ‘Nirvana’ track, his social worth jumped amassing a further 5k+ followers